Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Re-re-re-fried Azuki Beans

One of the sections I still need to drastically improve for Sister Soul involves an adventure in feudal Japan with the shugo daimyo Akifumi Katamori and a still unnamed ninja--I'm considering "Goro" or "Daisuke." The main characters will have to navigate their way from the Samurai culture to the ninja culture, and trying to figure out that pathway has been a challenge, to put it mildly. Warrior rules of conduct haven't been a big component of my beginning Japanese class. (Although I now know all of my Katakana and Hiragana!)

But, instead of being bogged down in logistics, I decided to just write the opening scenes of that section from the point of view of someone telling a story, introducing characters, describing the place, setting the stage. That helped me to make some good progress, and I hope it continues.

Meanwhile, our alien green castle has started to produce a bounty of crops. We've had tomatoes (cherry and heirloom), basil, and all sorts of green leaves, along with the beginnings of what we hope to be cucumbers, soybeans, corn, and other such. 



Our urban farming neighbor also gave us fresh chicken, duck, and quail eggs that look like magical stones.


I'm so ready for the zombie apocalypse, you have no idea.

What's Peanut eating? Bison.

3 comments:

  1. We don't have tomatoes yet, but we've eaten greens (mostly arugula) from our garden, and we have peas now, too. The basil seems to be coming along, and we're trying beans this year. Pole beans, whatever those are. The carrots are close, and our butter lettuce is sprouting up. I think we'll try potatoes next year, if I can find a place to build a raised bed for them. Some wild strawberries have come up around the birdbath, and we have a bazillion raspberries.

    Is that mozzarella and basil on the tomato slices? It looks fabulous. Peanut looks handsome as usual.

    I'm happy you're still moving with Sister Soul. I have found, Dr Malasarn, that a lot of my worries about structure and story go away if I just make myself sit down and write a scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raspberries! We've gotten about 8 raspberries this year. Maybe more if Red has been eating them on the sly. In general, I'm not much of a gardener, so he's doing a lot of the work. I just have my favorites, like the fig tree ("Figgy") and the hydrangea ("Drangey") and the chilli peppers, whom I have not bonded with well enough to name.

    That is mozzarella with basil and tomatoes. They were delicious. I am also growing a lot of kale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am afraid tomatoes will never grow here this year, since the temperature keeps dipping down into the 60's, but there is always hope for July. July is usually a foolproof hot month. One of my favorite dishes of all time is tomatoes and mozzarella and basil. I am eyeing your food with great envy. Those eggs are gorgeous! Did they taste as gorgeous?

    ReplyDelete