Friday, March 7, 2014

Friday Grocery List: Books I've Read Multiple Times

There are a few books that I return to over and over and over. Some are breathtaking, and I just want to admire them again. Some confound me, and I return to them to try to better understand what the author was doing. Some comfort me like a bowl of biscuits and gravy.

Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto (possibly the book I've reread the most times)

Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer

Light in August by William Faulkner (probably the book I've reread the most times)

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

Oh, The Places You'll Go by Dr. Seuss

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez which should also be on my last list

To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf

Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri (a short story collection)

Open Secrets by Alice Munro (a short story collection)

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Lake by Yasunari Kawabata

After Dark by Haruki Murakami

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy


What's Peanut eating? Socks.


3 comments:

  1. That's a good list. I am trying to think of books I've read more than once. I've read a lot of Chekhov stories several times. I've read two Nabokov books multiple times (Bend Sinister and Pale Fire). I've read Byatt's Possession three times, I think. I've read Faulkner's As I Lay Dying at least four times, and O'Connor's Wise Blood at least three times, and all of her short stories at least three times each, some more than that. I don't return to books that often, I think. Voltaire's Candide. "Hamlet" and "The Taming of the Shrew" multiple times. Many, many times. There are too many books I haven't read yet to stop and re-read, I guess. Camus' The Stranger is something I go back to. Joyce's Dubliners collection, maybe. Every eight years or so. Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises. The "Meditations" of Marcus Aurelius. Yeats. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee and Nine Stories by Salinger. Agatha Christie. I don't know. Sometimes I feel like I have no real literary roots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great list. I've read Anna Karenina three (maybe four?) times and each time I feel differently about it. But I always love the story. I've also read Nine Stories countless times. The Shipping News I've read two or three times. I spent one summer rereading Jane Austen novels. Oh, you make me want to do something like this again. Plan a summer rereading list. I think I'll do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd been thinking already that next year will be my year of re-reading. And don't the best books give us a different experience every time we return to them?

    ReplyDelete