Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Paste

I clearly remember Kenny B. in the 6th grade showing the class his tongue with a thick glob of Elmer's glue on it. He was making a face like he didn't like it. At the same time he was making no attempt to wipe it away.

I'm stuck at the moment. The characters in Sister Soul have reunited at a location that brings them dangerously close to facing their final challenge. The problem is, they aren't ready for that challenge yet, and I am trying to come up with a graceful way to back them out and get some distance. My worry is that the needed setting change will make the structure of the book too obvious and pull the reader out of the story. I worked for a few hours last night, but I didn't get 1,000 words written. It was one of the stare-y days.

What's Peanut eating? Aged cheddar.

5 comments:

  1. Hmm, have someone kidnap an important member of the party so the rest have to chase them down, get her back, and possibly pick up one more object or piece of magic they need to beat their adversary? Or close some character plot?

    I hate getting stuck at an active part of the story plot.

    ........dhole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Donna! I just got them out of the kidnapping scene, which is why they are currently so close to the enemy. I think I worked through this last night. I'll have to read it again to see if my solution still feels right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear in your comment above that you possibly worked through this! Getting stuck always happens at some point in my drafting stages. I somehow always get out.

    The other day my friend Natalie gave me a jar of pickled green beans. I though of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) Hi Michelle,
    I am slowly pushing my way through the last third of the book. I think because I'm tracking more storylines in this draft, the arrangement of scenes has become much more complicated. But I'm hoping it will help bring more emotion to the book.

    ReplyDelete