Thursday, February 6, 2014

IV Drip

Soon we won't need our imaginations anymore! Those pesky things probably cause cancer, anyway. MIT engineers are creating augmented books.

I'm going to start working on a new novel that doesn't include any words. It will just have cues for electrical impulses that control how the reader feels. Or, maybe I should say it will just have cues for electrical impulses that control how the "reader" "feels."

I'm feeling good about my revisions. Two days ago, I wrapped up Chapter 1, and what was originally a loud and vague ending has became a quieter and more precisely described ending. I'm really happy with the result.

I'm also finding opportunities to make my characters more distinct from one another. Four of them are currently in a room, and my challenge is to make sure each one has his or her own personality.

What's Peanut eating? Something in the dark that I probably wouldn't want to know about.

8 comments:

  1. I'm with Ellen of NPR about the "enhanced" "books": "If these device things are helping 'put you there,' it just means the writing won't have to be as good." And it's another way for readers to be passive audience members rather than mentally active. A good book does all of this already.

    I'm happy your revisions are going well! I'm reading DH Lawrence's Sons and Lovers, an amazingly amazing book that's written in very precise language. I will never write anything as good as this book's first 50 pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I think of language precision, Proust comes to mind. I like that he took all the time he needed to explain something. You give high praise for Sons and Lovers! I'll check it out!

      Delete
    2. Since it's out of copyright, you can have a look at the Project Gutenberg file and see if it's something you want to read. It's such a good book, so far. Plenty of time for Lawrence to screw it up.

      Delete
  2. That article is one of the saddest things I've ever read. I truly hope this kind of thing isn't the wave of the future. They already have those "moving" chairs in theaters now, so I suppose fiction will be the next hit. Le sigh.

    Glad to hear about your revisions! I just finished my forgetting book and will be diving into revisions soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You finished the first draft? Congratulations! I'm excited about this book, even though I know almost nothing about it.

      Delete
    2. Yes, it's exciting news! I hope you don't forget where you saved it on your computer. :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks, you guys! I haven't talked much about the book online, but I have a feeling most of my projects will be like that now. I should send you an email about it. :)

      Delete
    4. I'd love an email! I've started two emails to you both this week and deleted them because they seemed boring. I've just been excited about my writing progress.

      Delete