Thursday, February 20, 2014

Bulbs

Back in late 2008 or early 2009, I was very excited to learn that one of my favorite writers, Jhumpa Lahiri, would be speaking at a local Parisian bookstore. The reason for her visit was partially because she had written the foreword for a collection of stories by a writer named Mavis Gallant, someone I had never heard of before.

Lahiri and Gallant had a duel reading, and I was honored to be only a couple of meters away from them. Lahiri even gave me a smile! Though I didn't know Gallant's work at all, she quickly won me over with her intelligence, depth of emotion, and humor.

I felt very lucky to have met her.

Afterwards, Red and I lined up to get books signed by them. Gallant started writing in Red's book and then scribbled over the first line. "I was about to give you my phone number and address," she said.

Gallant passed away this week at the age of 91. Read more here and maybe here.

What's Peanut eating? A cobweb.

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet memory! It sounds like she had a great life, and I'm interested to check out her work.

    So do you have a spider problem? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, Michelle! There was actually--I'm ashamed to admit--a cobweb sitting in the corner of the room for several weeks. I never got around to getting rid of it because of all the other problem areas that seemed to have higher priority. Then, one day, I saw Peanut walk up to it, sniff, and before I knew it, he just snapped it up. That dog is so strange!

    ReplyDelete