Thursday, December 19, 2013

Friday Frared Fradvent Frost Storecipes

Hi, kids! I'm playing along with Mr. Loren Eaton and his Shared Storytelling: Advent Ghosts 2013 friends. Here's my exactly-100-word story.



The pale light shines 

Follow us to the Martins’ door, the warmth and lights, the smell of pine. Laughter. Crosby. Rose Martin carries the silver trays overburdened with clementines, with mincemeat pies, with profiteroles.

Midnight. Petrula Jarvis finishes her fifth glass of merlot. She’s having fun. She’s joking. “Rose, dear, why didn’t you invite the neighbors?”

Guests exchange looks. They do not believe the rumors, but they do; Mr. Harvey was always so mean to that poor girl.

Two doors down—a Christmas tradition—Widow Trimble on her porch, chest heaving, pale arm pointing at the bordering oak, ranting, “Dig there! See for yourself!”

9 comments:

  1. The details in this story are awesome. Just the word "Crosby" sets the scene so perfectly. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better to be at the Martin's than with the widow. I had a neighbor like that once. Couldn't wait to move. I liked this one - straight narrative, evocative and an absence of adjective piling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "--a Christmas tradition--" is great. This is fine work. I had an idea for a story but I failed to write it down and can't remember it now. I am disappointed in myself, but perhaps later this morning it will come back to me and I'll type it out.

    Hello, Davin Malasarn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading, everyone! And hello! A few years ago, everything I wrote was probably under 300 words. With this challenge, I had the hardest time figuring out any story I could tell. I think my concept of completeness has changed dramatically.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I just look for movement and some kind of gesture now. I don't know what I mean when I think about a "well-formed story" these days. I take that as a good sign. Also, I have actually posted an Advent Ghosts story for our friend Loren. Quite late, but whatevers. I was sore tempted to write about a guy who has plumbing problems in the house he just bought, but I showed admirable restraint.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't get me started! This week I discovered a $4000 gas leak. The line went from near the street, all the way up the hill, to the house. The leak was somewhere between those two points, so the plumber thought it easiest to replace it all. I find myself just waiting to see what will go wrong next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a side sewer line (just the kitchen and the laundry waste water) that's old clay pipe, which is slowly collapsing. To fix it will require the digging of a trench and a lot of cash. I just hope the clay pipe outlives me so I don't have to deal with it. But I love my house. We put up the Christmas tree on Monday night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great, Davin. I have to admit, with shame, that I had to go look up what profiteroles are. Now I want one. I like all the succinct details in this. You're always so good with those.

    ReplyDelete