Friday, October 25, 2013

Canadian Squash Blossoms

I've had so many ideas for posts, and yet I've managed to not post.

Now many of the ideas are...lost.

I do remember wanting to congratulation Alice Munro for winning the Nobel Prize. As most of you know, I'm a big fan of Munro's. She has such an interesting voice in her stories. I always feel like she highlights very telling details and has both a funny side and a dark side. And she's not heavily political, which makes the Nobel Committee's decision that much cooler. Go, Nobel!

Several days ago, Yat-Yee Chong also posted on late bloomers and linked to this article in the New Yorker. I really liked the post and the article because the descriptions of late bloomers resonated with my own experiences and gave me hope for myself! There was also an interesting hypothesis that early bloomers are more conceptual while late bloomers are more experimental, which resonates with me. Though I'm sure I can think of several exceptions. I think maybe it explains why I can't outline as part of my process. The early drafts are part of the thinking process for me. They help to clarify my ideas in a big way, taking me from very blurry to somewhat clearer.

I assure you I had many other extremely profound thoughts on writing and the writer's life. Really! I did!

What's Peanut eating? Stitches.


2 comments:

  1. Stitches? Did Peanut get hurt???

    I like that about late bloomers and early bloomers. You're definitely more experimental, and I've always liked that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle! Yeah, Peanut had a little injury. It was just a couple of stitches, but he insisted on trying to dig them out. The nice thing that came out of it was that the doctor ordered us to buy a shirt for him. :)

    I think I definitely fit into the late bloomer category based on the process that they described. I really thought that article was interesting!

    ReplyDelete