Friday, July 26, 2013

Long Beans

Today is gray and muggy and solitary and internal, and I am particularly missing the Literary Lab. Why is it gone? I loved working with a group. I loved people coming in with different opinions and skill sets.

I'm currently reading two books. One is 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. I was really engaged with it, but lately, at about page 600, it just feels long. I feel like the story is being drawn out just to take up more pages. I also recently joined a book club, and the first book I'm reading with them is The Interestings. So far, the point of the book seems to be to tell the story of people who hoped to be interesting but turned out to be ordinary. And that's what it feels like. I'm dragging myself through paragraph after ordinary paragraph. To be fair, I'm only about 70 pages in, and I figure something will happen eventually.


What's Peanut Eating? Watermelon juice, following a rather funny two-day episode of Big Red making watermelon sorbet--there was blood involved, and the sugar was left out.


(and in the optional reading section, more from Sister Soul, continuing from here):

All the dancers formed a large circle around the center stage. In their bright costumes, Maria imagined they looked like a giant Hawaiian lei from up above. They faced inward as a city council member from Little Tokyo gave a few introductory remarks. Maria didn’t pay attention to what the old man in a powder blue sport coat and straw hat was saying. She had heard similar speeches seven years in a row. Besides, at the moment, she was overcome by a nagging feeling that she had forgotten something, an anniversary or a birthday. Her conversation with Asami had triggered it.

She went through her family members: husband, son, mother, father, stepmother, sister. Nope, as far as she knew she was safe, at least with birthdays. Today wasn’t the anniversary of her mother’s death either. She would never have forgotten that.

Though the nagging feeling didn’t leave her completely, Maria tried to focus again as the council member stepped down to tepid applause. She had to remember which routine they were about to perform. The music started, and the dancers began their first bon. Kikuta Kai had chosen to dance with wooden fans this year, and Maria enjoyed the attention they were getting from the crowds. Each year, the event seemed to grow more popular. The sidewalks were so crowded that pedestrians couldn’t make their way through in some areas, and hundreds of children were nudging their way into the street to get a closer look.

As she danced, Maria let her mind wander. She had performed this bon so many times that the choreography was second nature to her. She looked out at the people. Judging by their looks, they were mostly Japanese or Japanese-American, she guessed, but plenty of others were there too, including her Thai husband.

I am Yonsei…I am Yonsei, she repeated mentally to herself. The sense of history that came with that label always made her feel secure. She could trace her own family back several generations, long before anyone came to America. And she had a large collection of old photographs, kimono, cutlery, birth certificates, even a purple heart that one of her distant uncles had earned during the same war that had detained so many members of her family. Many of the objects were so delicate. At the same time, she wanted to make sure she could share them. She carefully scanned many of the original documents and photographed other objects, compiling the copies into several scrapbooks that she made my hand. The work was so impressive that most of the Sansuis, her father’s family, and the Nakamotos, her mother’s family, had declared her to be the unofficial family historian.

Soran Bushi was the second dance, and the dancers mimicked the daily tasks of fisherman. Maria made the movements of casting out a net and gathering it back in again. She watched the faces of the children for signs of recognition, but maybe this generation wouldn’t know what fishing was. Her own son was only five. His life was full of all sorts of gadgets. The only fish he saw were digital. Well, at least he still enjoyed sports and being outside. He stood beside her husband, his big brown eyes gleaming. The August heat beat down on them, but Maria was in a good mood all the same. She imagined facing the clear ocean waters, pulling in the nets heavy with fish. She imagined the smell of salt in the air and hungry gulls flying and squawking overhead. How different her life would have been, she thought, if she had been born at a different time, in a different place. Her life could have had so much more struggle, so much more turmoil. As it was, all she had to worry about was how to improve her dancing and what to make for dinner that night.

She was in the middle of these thoughts when she heard the sound of drumbeats. At first, Maria didn’t think anything of it. The parade was on a crowded street right in the heart of Little Tokyo. So many people were gathered there that all sorts of noises could be heard. But the drumming continued, a loud and steady boom, boom, boom, boom coming from one of the taiko drums. When she had the opportunity, she glanced over to see a young man pounding a mallet on the largest of the drums. Though her face didn’t show any anger, the muscles around her lips tightened. She hoped someone would put a stop to it quickly and teach the rude guy a thing or two about the importance of good manners.

 Boom, boom, boom, boom!

The sound began to disrupt the dancers. Several of the less experienced ones fell out of step. They looked at each other, shrugging and scurrying back into place. The drumming was getting to Maria too. Each beat felt eerily like the ticking of a giant clock. It magnified her nagging feeling that today was an important day, a day to be remembered.

“Why don’t you cut it out?” someone in the audience shouted. But the drummer continued to play. Maria watched as a pair of security guards in yellow jackets marched over to him and asked him to stop. When he ignored them, they took hold of his arms. The mallets fell to the floor. The player began kicking and shouting. His face was strained and red. His eyes looked glazed over, like he was in some sort of trance.

When the performance music ended, the councilman primly rushed back onto the stage.

“The Grand Parade will continue in a few minutes,” he said with an uneasy laugh. He made to bow, but just as he was hunching over, another sound rose up from the crowd. This time it was a scream. An old woman. Maria turned to see a bundle of wrinkled limbs flailing around on the ground. Someone had fallen. A bag of groceries had spilled, its contents scattering all around.

Maria ran over as fast as she could in her geta to help the woman up. She looked to be in her seventies, maybe even her eighties. Her white hair was disheveled. She wore a faded dress, thick wool socks and tennis shoes, an old knit coat that looked far too warm for this weather.

“Are you okay?” Maria asked, bending down to take hold of the woman’s arm.

“Yes, yes, I’m fine. Damn it! Look at my things!” The woman’s voice was tinted by a slight Japanese accent. She seemed to have just come back from a shopping trip. Around her were various bags and boxes. On the stage, the Councilman was once again assuring everyone that things would be back to normal in no time.

“I’ll help you, but are you sure you’re okay?” Maria asked.

“I’m fine, I’m fine.” She scrambled to her feet. Despite her age, she moved rather well. She was a short but thick woman, her face as round as a pincushion. “What’s important are my things. I’m in a hurry. Where’s the blue?”

Though she still seemed unsteady, the woman began to stumble around, picking up her things. Along with some other items like ginger, garlic, and daikon, Maria noticed several boxes of food coloring. One of them had been smashed underfoot, and a dribble of dark blue fluid was leaking out of the corner.

“Is this what you mean by blue?” Maria asked.

But the woman didn’t seem to hear her. “What time is it?”

“What?” Maria asked, confused.

“Damn it! I said what time is it?”

Maria didn’t have a watch on, but luckily by now a few other people had gathered to help. Someone said it was 11:45 am.

“We only have fifteen minutes,” the old woman declared, rushing even more. She abandoned her other things and focused only on the blue food coloring. Once she had grabbed two handfuls of the small boxes, she grabbed anything else she could and tossed them into a canvas bag she had been carrying. Then, she started to hobble away.

“Don’t you think you should go to the first aid station?” Maria asked. “It’s right over there, by that white sign.”

“Forget about first aid. If anything, it’s time for fourth aid. Just come on,” the old woman shouted over her shoulder.

Come on? Was Maria supposed to follow this strange woman? She looked back at the crowd, at her family still standing among the other audience members. She thought to call out to them, but everything was chaotic enough as it was. Most of the people were distracted by the drummer, who was still putting up quite a struggle between the security guards. The sounds of police sirens could be heard approaching.

“We have to hurry!” the woman shouted. She was nearly half a block away. Maria rushed to catch up to her. She glanced back, hoping some of the others would follow, but they did nothing more than shrug. When she was side by side with the woman, she looked over and saw a fierce look of determination on the wrinkled old face.

“Damn this useless old body,” the woman muttered, more to herself than to Maria. Without slowing, she turned to Maria and looked her up and down. She didn’t seem the least bit stressed over what had just happened. “What’s your name now?” she demanded.

“My name?”

“Megumi? Michiko? Mariko?”

“It’s Maria. What do you mean now?”

15 comments:

  1. If the LL was still around, today would be Friday Filler! And we'd be moaning about how we're just repeating things we've said a hundred times already. But yeah, I miss it too. I have no idea why I blog these days. I used to feel like I was part of a long-running conversation, but now I feel like I'm talking to myself most of the time.

    "What do you mean now?" is good. I am intrigued.

    I'm probably not going to read 1Q84. I do think I'll read more Kawabata, though. But next I'm going to read Andre Gide's The Counterfeiters. It's about some French counterfeiters, I think. I'm reading a bunch of French novels to help me with Patience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea why I blog either. What's the point of it all, Baimonster? Tell me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Davin, I miss the Literary Lab too. I was just thinking about it the other day. How nice it was to get different opinions about writing and such. Like Scott, I feel like I'm just blogging to hear myself think.

    And yes, I have to agree with Scott about that line too. "What do you mean now?" I don't even want to guess what 's going to happen, but I shall -- Is there a bomb? I do hope no one gets hurt.

    Lucky Peanut. I haven't had watermelon for sometime. Although I did just eat my first ever white peach. I'd like to say it was delicious, but alas, it was not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robynne, Blogging is a weird thing, isn't it. I guess much of writing is. On one hand we do it to help ourselves think. On the other hand it's important that others have access to it.

    The line in the story is hinting at--time travel/reincarnation! :)

    I've always liked the idea of the white peach, but I agree, they aren't particularly tastier than any other peach. Stone fruits have been coming up a lot in conversation lately. Those hard little seeds. They remind me of me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love time travel/reincarnation. I just wrote a short story that had to do with what happens when we die, with angels, comas, and cotton candy. And naturally a romance. I think I need to let it sit for now. It needs "more" although I'm not sure what the more is. Or maybe I just think it needs more. Second guessing seems to be my thing to do these days. I'm not sure when I lost my capacity to see clearly in my writing. Probably when I started reading my reviews.

    And I wouldn't ever say you remind me of a hard little seed. You remind me of a hibiscus flower. Unfurling into beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's a book I read as a child, The Apple Stone, by Gray. I recently found a used one online and re-read it. In retrospect it's not very good writing--but if you're into magical fruit stones--

    I would write a blog if I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And is good to read some of "Sister Soul" and you know what I think of it

      Delete
    2. The Apple Stone is on sale at Amazon fro $216. Can I borrow $217? I could buy it and then get a lottery ticket.

      Delete
  7. I like this excerpt, Davin. Write more! Send me the book! Again, I love your details. I love the daikon and the fishing nets and the blue food coloring.

    I miss the Literary Lab. I have come close to emailing you and Scott and seeing if you'd both want to start it up again, and then I think about it long and hard and realize how it probably wouldn't work out. It's so nostalgic for me, and I miss that little community. I'm not sure we could ever duplicate it even if we tried. It would be something different. Better, maybe? Who knows. Anyway, yeah, I miss those days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep thinking we should restart the LL but then I realize how oppressed we all ended up being at the thought of having to find something to post about every day of the week. But if we came up with a shiny new idea for a blog...?

      Also, I've been working with Rhemalda on new cover art for The Transcendental Detective. You will see it soon. It's very contemporary and pretty cool. The original idea was deemed too old-fashioned and stodgy. Just like me. But the new idea is good. I like it a lot. Hey, look: I'm talking about me again. Who is surprised?

      When do the rest of us get to read "Sister Soul?"

      Delete
    2. Yes, I'm looking forward to Sister Soul! Scott, that's interesting about your cover. I liked the other one, but I guess it wasn't very contemporary? Are you old-fashioned and stodgy? I think you're refined and intelligent. :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Michelle! It seems we are all coming close to doing something. I feel like my finger is on the trigger button. I wonder if there are enough people frequently blogging to make some new version of the Literary Lab active. Would it just be a few people? Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

      And, Scott, a new cover! That's cool. I liked the original one, but I'll look forward to . I suspect there will be a picture of Jennifer Lawrence on it.

      Step 1: Write Sister Soul
      Step 2: Let other people read it.

      Delete
    4. You know- you can do a once a month or once in 2 weeks version of Literary lab- to avoid the oppression? And maybe do posts about reading/books/classics/literary fiction as well as writing?

      Delete
  8. ooh..I am really liking this!, the last line is especially intriguing!
    The literary lab was lovely,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Lavanya! Nice to hear from you, and thanks for reading!

      Delete