Thursday, January 10, 2013

Tacos and Margaritas

One of the unofficial goals I have for this year is to learn how to cook good Mexican food.

My first foray into it has been the handmade tortilla, thanks in big part to the new tortilla press I got for Christmas. The corn tortillas were tasty and tender and delicious. The flour tortillas were stiff and weighty, but to my defense I tried a recipe with no lard or shortening. The corn tortillas were used in some delicious tacos (not pictured).

not the greatest picture

I'm also closing in on page 160 of The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. The title characters have appeared! As it's following Michael Chabon's Wonder Boys in my reading list, it's interesting to read two very different novels about writers and the difficulties they have with their manuscripts. I'm also wondering about the connection between The Master and Margarita and the animator Miyazaki. That deserves a google when I have some time.



What's Peanut eating? Raindrops

9 comments:

  1. Master and Margarita has a unique structure. As it goes along, it gets less clear which is the frame story and which the fiction. I like the book a lot, though it has its flaws.

    Tortilla press? Color me envious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realized I wrote Murakami instead of Miyazaki. The tortilla press has been a lot of fun, and it may be even more fun when I start using it to press non-tortilla items like jelly beans or marshmallows or Smurfs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Smurf press! I like it, Dr Malasarn. Post photos. Immediately.

    I was actually wondering if Murakami also read Bulgakov while he was reading all that Kafka. Have you read Murakami's memoir? I haven't, but it looks interesting, if only for the running angle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thoroughly enjoyed What I Talk About When I Talk About Running. It's emotional and ends up being about aging and life beyond writing and running. Granted, I don't read a lot of non-fiction books, so I don't have much to compare it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're eating icicles here :) And you're having way to much fun with your new toy - er, food press Davin.

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe, raindrops! We've been eating snowflakes around here!

    I tried to make flour tortillas a few months ago. The did NOT work. I'm hoping to try again sometime with a better recipe. I want a nice, thin tortilla. I don't care much for the fluffier ones.

    Darcy wants your Smurf press.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna, I will try to be responsible with the new power I yield in the tortilla press. I'll only use it for good.

    Michelle, Darcy and I can smoosh things together. :) Did you use lard in your tortillas? I may try that. Or shortening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't use lard, no. I think I need to buy a tub next time I'm at the store ...

      Delete
  8. I'm not that ambitious to make my own tortillas. However, smushing other foods might be fun. Potstickers, for instance have always bothered me. I wish they were more flat. But that's just me. Hey, how about a PB&J sandwich? That could be really exciting.

    ReplyDelete