Monday, January 14, 2013

Italian Eggs

I'm a few days late in seeing this, but one of my most inspiring scientists died at the end of last month. Here are a couple of articles on Rita Levi-Montalcini, a Jewish scientist working in her own makeshift laboratory, constructed in her bedroom, in the 1930s and 1940s while hiding from a Fascist regime. She'd bike around the countryside collecting fertile eggs for her secret research, which she would be able to eat later. The work eventually led to a Nobel Prize. That's how it's done, folks.  

Go to the Guardian article.

Go to the NPR article.

7 comments:

  1. You've told me a little bit about Dr Rita, and the story's fascinating.

    The Nobel Prize should be edible, too.

    Oddly enough, this post made me think about the LL anthologies, and I suddenly got sad because we aren't doing them any more. How many copies of the last one sold?

    Also, if you're going to talk about "Italian eggs," you're going to have to post the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott, one thing I've always wanted to try and make was uova da ravioli, which have egg yolks inside them that gush out when you cut them. It seems hard to do, which is why I've been avoiding it, but this blog should make me fearless in writing and in cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, egg-yolk ravioli. That sounds amazing. It looks like getting the ravioli assembled without breaking the yolk is the hardest part. Be fearless!

    I'm calling my next band "Uova da Ravioli."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very picky about my eggs ..

    I miss the LL anthologies ... *sniff* ... there's no saying we can't do any more of them, you know. We don't have to have the blog to do them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The work. Are we remembering how much work they required?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It might be fun to do some sort of project. We can be creative.

    ReplyDelete