Thursday, October 25, 2012

Tea

I've been rereading Yasunari Kawabata's book Thousand Cranes. It's about a man and his relationship with his father's two mistresses after his father dies. And, there's a birthmark involved.

Tea ceremonies are also involved, and the book references some Shino wares. So I looked them up, and they are quite beautiful...



I've always had a thing for ceramics. That's really all I wanted to say. But, really, what I wanted to say is that I am unveiling a new weekly blog feature tomorrow because I miss Scott G. F. Bailey's Friday Fillers. Don't get too excited. 

And for those of you who think that you can't eat tea, you should try my Grandma Sophie's tea. Bring your extra pair of teeth.*

*Okay, I really don't have a Grandma Sophie.

What's Peanut eating? If you're familiar with Miyazaki's animated feature Spirited Away (one of the DVDs I used to play over and over and over again when I wrote), then you may remember this disgusting-looking black blob that the river spirit gave to Chihiro after she pulled a bicycle out of his side. Well, Peanut ate something that looked like that this morning.

13 comments:

  1. I am excited! I miss Friday Filler.

    I read about Thousand Cranes on the internets; it looks interesting. We'll see how much I like the other Kawabata book I bought. Before I get to it, I decided to read a short Nabokov novel. Which makes it sound as if there are several writers named Nabokov, who can be differentiated by their height. That, Mr Malasarn, is not the actual case. Also, I'm not even sure how tall Nabokov was. But I think he was short, which gets me back to reading a short Nabokov novel right now. So there.

    Pretty cups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new feature will not be as cool as Friday Filler, but it will be something, and it is sort of my pledge to post at least once a week until I decided not to.

    I did not check my sources too thoroughly, but Nabokov was apparently 6 foot 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently, then, I'm reading a tall Nabokov novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited about the Friday thing, too. That's really all I have to say. And that it took me a full year of forcing myself to drink green tea every day to learn to like it. Maybe I needed better ware?

    ReplyDelete
  5. For some reason two people being excited about the new Friday feature is making me nervous. Low expectations, people. LOW expectations.

    Jennifer, I'm sure there's some famous quote about the importance of ware to the taste of tea. I'm, unfortunately, not aware of this quote. However, I learned to like the following things by forcing myself to eat them: fruit pies, sushi, and mussels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "You're nowhere without Shino ware."

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Without Shino ware, the tea will burn your hands."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pragmatic, yes. Catchy, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe it's catchy when you translate it to Japanese.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ewww!!!!!!! (about the black blob) ...

    Can't wait for tomorrow! That's three people excited. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Shino ware. I have to be honest and say I was not excitedly anticipating your new Friday thing. But only because I didn't know about it until just now.

    But now that I've seen it, woohoooo!

    (I'm sure everyone will be stunned at my articulate expression of excitement.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wendy, I think "woohoooo!" is a great invention. I'm mean, I've seen "woohoo" and even "woohooo" but never "woohoooo!" :)

    ReplyDelete