Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Strange Fruit

I caught the tail end of this story on NPR this morning and then got it sent to me by a friend. It describes the life of Abel Meeropol, the man who wrote "Strange Fruit," including why he used the pen name Lewis Allen. I've always found "Strange Fruit" to be an incredibly powerful song, but I never visually read the lyrics before. Here they are. And the article has a video of Lady Day singing it too.

Southern trees bear a strange fruit,
Blood on the leaves and blood at the root,
Black body swinging in the Southern breeze,
Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees.


Pastoral scene of the gallant South,
The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth,
Scent of magnolia sweet and fresh,
And the sudden smell of burning flesh!


Here is a fruit for the crows to pluck,
For the rain to gather, for the wind to suck,
For the sun to rot, for a tree to drop,
Here is a strange and bitter crop.


What's Peanut eating? He found some sort of hard little ball this morning that I couldn't force out of his mouth. He swallowed it whole. I'm a little freaked that it will be another thousand dollar bite.

9 comments:

  1. How big was that little ball? He didn't choke?

    I've never read those lyrics, either. Powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, I've been paranoid about that ball all day. It was probably an inch in diameter, but I didn't get that good of a look at it. I can't imagine how he swallowed it...and I'm a little worried about how it's going to come out again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, that could be a problem ... can you take him into the vet just in case?

      Delete
    2. Michelle, I'm watching him closely before taking him to the vet. I'm trying hard not to become overly paranoid.

      Delete
  3. That is a moving piece.

    Speaking of moving pieces, watch Peanut's movements. I fed my dog a bone from a pork shoulder a year ago and he actually chewed and swallowed the whole thing. He pooped funny for a day but then things went back to normal we were in the clear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bad jokes aside, Rick, it's hard to describe how closely I'm watching his movements, but let's just say you probably won't find any typos in it.

      Delete
  4. Watch Peanut's eyes for a day or two as well as his poop. If that ball thing gets stuck in his intestines, his billy-rubens will be blocked and that's a bad thing. His eyes will turn yellow and he'll have jaundice and then you'll know whatever it is is stuck and he'll need surgery. Sorry.

    But, I'm thinking positively here and know he'll be okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robynne Rand, I really appreciate this information. I didn't know this, but I will watch his eyes too. Thank you! So far, he has been acting quite normal.

      Delete
  5. Tough, tough lyrics. I had not experienced them in writing before either. Thank you for sharing the link.

    And Peanut! Good grief! I hope he is okay.

    ReplyDelete