Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Lignin

Peanut has been reading a lot of books lately. For a while, he was reading a book a day. It started with Willa Cather's My Mortal Enemy, which sort of makes sense, doesn't it? I mean, the book was just sitting there on the table, declaring itself as the bad guy, why wouldn't Peanut read it? But then, it was a Florence travel book, A Drinking Life by Pete Hamill, Alice Munro's Too Much Happiness, James Joyce's Dubliners, and even a second copy of My Mortal Enemy. I'd come home from work to find them on the ground, sometimes open, sometimes closed, always looking worn out.


Interview interlude with David Hasselhoff:

DH: Really? Peanut is reading books?

Me: Oh, did I say "reading"? I meant "eating."



Hi everyone,

I haven't been posting! I'm in a bit of a funk, partly to do with layoffs in my office, partly to do with loved ones trying to figure out the balance between love and life. But I took a long weekend in Joshua Tree and the loft has had some cosmetic surgery, so I'll post pictures up soon. And, no, none of this has anything to do with writing.



9 comments:

  1. i think there's a lot of fiber in Alice Munro books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just glad they don't make book covers out of rawhide anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like Peanut needs some toys. Perhaps a friend to pal around with so he doesn't eat, *ahem* read, your books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peanut is just trying to internalize classic literature. Willa Cather is good home cooking.

    That dog of yours can't stop himself from eating things he's not supposed to eat. Maybe Mr Hasselhoff can keep Peanut company during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robynne Rand, Did you just give me permission to get another dog? I like that!

    Scott, I think Peanut would really enjoy riding around in that fancy car from Knight Rider.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sad to hear you've been in a funk. I miss chatting with you! That is the cutest picture, ever, of Peanut, but I'd suggest keeping more of your books out of chewing range, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle, I miss you too. I'm hoping the fog of funk lifts soon! Peanut's cuteness gets him out of a lot of trouble. If only I was covered in fur and had soft, floppy ears.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The more trouble Peanut gets in, the more adorable he seems to look. This reminds me a bit of my youngest child. We refer to it as his "cute powers."

    I, too, am sorry to hear about the funk, but glad to know you are okay. I had wondered a bit.

    Take good care of yourself, Davin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jennifer, Thanks for your nice words!

    ReplyDelete