Friday, August 10, 2012

Metaldehyde

Today is a special episode of What's Peanut Eating. Unfortunately.

What's Peanut Eating? Snail poison.


So, I've been rather distracted the last couple of days. The poor little dude was having bad muscle spasms and was drooling excessively when the dog walker went to visit him. The vet said it was common for dogs to eat snail poison because it's mixed with molasses. He's back at home now and filled with charcoal.  

12 comments:

  1. Oh, poor little Peanut! Give him my love and tell him to be careful in future. And then give him a stern look from me. Where did he run across snail poison? Out on a walk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott, Thanks! I will pass along all those things in the order you describe. Hopefully he listens to you better than he listens to me. A neighbor said he noticed a white powder on some plants on one of the nearby streets, so that could have been it. I guess even a little bit can be quite bad. There's some statistic about 50% of dogs dying after eating 1 teaspoon per 10 lbs. I don't think he ate that much.

      Delete
    2. This is why we don't use toxins in our garden or yard. You never know whose beloved pet will come along for a taste. Mighty Reader kills snails with her mighty trowel held in a mighty fist.

      Delete
    3. That is the mightiest best way! We had a dog die from drinking antifreeze when I was growing up. We think it was deliberately given to him, which makes it even more tragic.

      Delete
    4. I remember helping my aunt garden when I was a kid. We'd put on latex gloves and crush them in our hands. Then I was told to stop for Buddhist reasons and my aunt continued to crush them on her own.

      Delete
    5. The Buddha fought the army of demon monkeys so we'd have freedom to kill slugs and snails with our hands. Okay, he didn't, and Mighty Reader will escort spiders safely from the house, and I won't kill a snail or a slug at all. But man, that trowel gets a lot of use. This paragraph makes perfect sense. Anyway, poor Peanut! I'm told that when I was 2 or 3 years old, I had my stomach pumped because I got into some prescription drugs. I don't remember it at all.

      Delete
    6. New Buddhist decree! No dogs or Scott G. F. Baileys are allowed to eat snail poison or antifreeze or extra prescription drugs! The Buddhist punishment for violating these rules is bad reincarnation!

      Delete
  2. Davin, NOOOO!!! That's so sad! :( I'm glad he's going to be okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle. It was nice to see him acting like his old self again this morning. Last night when he came home, one ear was floppy while the other one was stiff and pulled back, like he was lopsided.

      Delete
  3. Davin, I'm so sorry to hear this! Poor Peanut.

    Is it okay to say he looks totally adorable in the picture? He should be squeezed, but gently.

    Hope he is making a full recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately or unfortunately for Peanut, he tends to look cute all the time. :) He's recovering really well, Jennifer. The vet tech seemed quite surprised when she looked at the results of his blood work. Other than pumping out charcoal, he is acting normally and seems to have no recollection of what happened--which also means he hasn't learned any sort of lesson from all this! Today, I take him in for another blood test.

      Delete