Monday, July 2, 2012

Cashews entwined

On Saturday I had the supreme pleasure of going to visit my good friend and ex-co-Lit Lab-blogger, Michelle Davidson Argyle. She was doing a book signing in Layton, Utah, and--thanks to an extraordinarily helpful friend at Southwest Airlines--I was able to fly out there to surprise her.

This was something I have wanted to do for some time. I've been able to meet a few blogger friends in person, including Tara Maya, then Scott G. F. Bailey, then C.N. Nevets, in that order. Meeting Michelle in-person finishes off the set, in a way, although of course there are others I'd still love to meet.

I showed up at the B&N where Michelle was sitting at a table behind her stacks of beautiful books. She flashed me a nice smile, but I don't think she recognized me right away. I just kept walking towards her, trying and failing to come up with something clever to say, until the recognition hit and she gave me a big hug.

Of course, Michelle was working, so I didn't want to interrupt. (It had occurred to me that I should tell her ahead of time that I was coming so that we could plan more time together, but Mr. Bailey insisted that I do the surprise, and it sure was fun!) And, Michelle and her hubby were able to reorganize their schedule so that we could all go out for dinner together. We didn't have cashews, even though that's what I always had in mind whenever I thought about meeting Michelle. Cashews and tomato and peanut butter sandwiches and curry, maybe. Instead, we went to a nice seafood restaurant and chatted for a good amount of time.

Then, we said our goodbyes. Then she called me to say we forgot to take a picture, so we met up again and took this:



Then, we said our goodbyes. Then, I remembered that I left my signed copy of The Breakaway in her car. (She's kindly mailing it to me. (I blame the heat and excitement.))

What's Peanut eating? Aged cheddar.

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh, cashews! And if there had been a Thai place around, I would have picked that! But the seafood we had hit the spot for me too. Mostly, I just wanted to drag it out for about 3 hours and talk. :)

    Thank you again for coming, Davin! I'm mailing your book off tomorrow. I also found out why B&N had both the glossy and matte covers for Monarch. Apparently there is still some of the glossy in stock at Ingram.

    ReplyDelete